It was the perfect clear and sunny day for a coastal drive. I dragged along fellow runner Andre with his valuable Two Oceans experience and we set out for a leisurely cruise along the Cape coast.
A visual reminder I surely got.
Wrapped in a serious kick in the gut reality check.
Sprinkled with breathtaking scenery.
Wannabe Zen master Nita is of the opinion that this race is not for the fainthearted. Amateur runner Nita just thinks it's f*king far and those hills are f*#%*ing steep. (Sorry mom.) Fifty six kilometres in theory is one thing. In reality it looks a little different.
That being said, I'm ready for the beautiful monster!
Having severely neglected my blog during the preparation for this major event, I took some live footage (albeit with my little Canon's rather crappy video feature) in an attempt to redeem myself. I think it will clearly explain why this race is known as the world's most beautiful marathon. Apart from that, it also serves as proof that a certain degree of insanity is in fact a prerequisite for participation. I transformed said scenes into the following superbly dorky video. Enjoy the beautiful views, see 2 seconds of me trying to appear optimistic but in fact just looking understandably stressed, and a heck of a lot of fit-inducing shaky route footage.
A few notes:
* (Unfortunately for some) much of the limited narration is in Afrikaans. I tried switching over to English every now and then but to be honest, I was a little bit distracted by an overwhelming gut wrenching fear.
* The distances mentioned are approximations. Don't hold me to it.
* The sound of the wind is indeed annoying, yes. Please refer to the "amateur" part of "Unofficial and totally amateur".
* No pedestrians, cyclists, tourists or other animals were injured in the making of this video. My confidence took a little hit though. But it's not critical.
* The killer soundtrack is copyright stuff. YouTube seems ok with it but I feel obliged to mention that this video is under no circumstances intended for commercial use.
* The footage belongs to me (I'm in it so I have pretty solid proof). Share it if you will but please refrain from misusing or taking credit for it. And a link back to this site is always appreciated. Muchos gracias :)